Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grammar - Conditional Verb Use

We use conditional verbs when we begin sentences with “if.” There are several different kinds of conditionals, but we will look only at one. Read the following examples:

1. If we had studied for the science test, we would have passed the test.
2. If they had saved room, they would have ordered dessert.
3. If Julian and Katya had not traveled to New York, they never would have met.
4. If it had not been raining, the game would have been played outside.

Notice that each sentence has two different sets of verbs. Notice also that
the helping verb phrase “would have” occurs only in the second part of the sentence (after the comma). Too often, students use “would have” in both parts of the sentence, which makes if very clumsy and awkward.


Incorrect: If we would have studied last night, we would have passed the test.

That’s too many “would haves”!

Now it’s your turn:
Write a sentence that starts with “if” like the examples above. Make both parts of the sentence about the past. Write about an event that could have happened but didn’t (or that did happen but would not have under different circumstances). Use “would have” only in the second part of the sentence.

Example:
If he had trained for more hours every day, he would have won the race.

4 comments:

  1. If I had done my chores, I would have gotten my allowance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they had followed the rules, then they would have been praised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had tried harder, I would have gotten a better grade on my paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I hadn't gone ice skating last night, I could have finished my homework.

    ReplyDelete